Home (Transom)


Home » Boating » Transom



Boating  Transit  Transverse

< Search again
The transom is the surface that forms the stern of a boat.

: The stern cross-section of a square sterned boat.
TRIM: Fore and aft balance of a boat through good adjustment of the sails.
TRIMARAN: A boat with three hulls.

Transoms - These timbers extend across the low parts of the hull near the rudder, and are secured (either notched and/or bolted) to the sternpost.

The rear section of the hull connecting the two sides.
A plastic hose and shower head located near the that draws from a fresh water supply.

1) The Planking that forms the Stern and closes off the sides of a wooden vessel.
2) The aftermost portion of the Stern of a vessel
Find Terms ...

- the transverse part of the stern (where an outboard motor is attached).
Waterline- the intersection of a boat’s hull and the water’s surface.
USCG- United States Coast Guard ...

TRANSOM- flat part of the stern
WAKE- a wave or rippling of water caused by a boat's passge as it travels through the water.

Flaps in the that allow water to run off the boat

The aft side of the hull.
A bar with an attached block, allowing more controlled adjustment of sail trim.

: The transverse, roughly vertical, panel forming the after end of a boat's hull. Double-enders like canoes and peapods have no .

The "Transom" is the flat side of the hull at the stern of the vessel. If the stern is pointed like the bow then it has no transom and is referred to as a double-ender or canoe stern.

a slide which travels on a track and is used for altering sheet angles.

Transom- The flat area of the hull, at the stern of a boat.
Trim- To adjust a sail by using the sheets to proper relationship with the wind.
Turnbuckle- A device for adjusting the tension on the shrouds and stays.

: The flat rear end of a boat, the upper part of which tends to lean forward on modern racers.
Trim: To adjust the sail to make it the right shape and angle to the wind.

The flat, vertical hull section that extends across the stern.
Traveler strap ...

: The flat area across the stern of the boat.
Trim: To trim or adjust the sail to make it more effective against the wind.
True wind: The actual wind felt wind the boat is not moving.

a device that the mainsheet may be attached to which allows its position to be adjusted ...

In housebuilding and shipbuilding a may be simply a crossbeam, but in small craft the word refers specifically to the transverse after end of the hull, including any stiffening beams or structure.

A large piece of timber fastened to the stern-posts, to the ends of which the afterpart of the bends are fastened.
Traverse ...

triple-expansion steam engine
An engine with three steam cylinders of different diameters. Steam passes from a small-diameter high-pressure cylinder to an intermediate cylinder to a large-diameter low-pressure cylinder.

Transom - The flat, or sometimes curved terminating structure of the hull at the stern of a boat.
Trapeze - Wire gear enabling a crewmember to place all of his weight outboard of the hull, thus helping to keep the boat level.

- Most stern portion of the hull
- The outside flat part of a boat's stern
Trigger - The electronic switch that replaced points, often refereed to as a Trigger assembly ...

Flat surface of a boat's stern
The flat, or sometimes curved terminating structure of the hull at the stern of a boat.

The aft end of the boat.
TRAVELER A track or rod with allows for adjustable positioning of the position of a block or sheet-lead.

The transom is hinged providing access to the 39's swim step and boarding ladder, and chainplates are inboard permitting tighter sheeting angles for the headsail, ...

The should not be cut down for the engine. If it is, then an engine well must be present. This prevents the boat from flooding from a low wave over the .

Once your transom is close enough to the dock, have your stern crew either jump on the dock with one of the stern lines, or throw the lines to some help on the dock. Immediately stop the boat. Adjust the length of your lines.

A piece of timber placed across the lower counter, inside, at the height of the helm-port, and bolted through every timber for the security of that port.
High And Dry ...

BEAM, TRANSOM A strong deck beam situated in the after end of the vessel connected at each end to the transom frame. The cant beams which support the deck plating in the overhang of the stern are attached to and radiate from it.

. The athwartships surface located at the very stern; as in: The outboard engine mounts on the dinghy's .

Transom - a more or less flat surface across the stern of a vessel. Dinghies tend to have almost vertical transoms, whereas yachts’ transoms may be raked forward or aft.
Trice - To haul and tie up by means of a rope.

: The surface that makes the stern of a boat
flaps: Flaps in the that allow water to run off the boat
Trapeze: A device mostly used in racing dinghies to allow the crew to lean out further without falling overboard ...

The sides of a vessel between the waterline and the deck; sometimes referring to onto or above the deck.
The stern cross-section of a square sterned boat.
Fore and aft balance of a boat.

(Transsummer) - One of the principal transverse timbers of the stern, bolted to the sternpost and giving shape to the stern structure.
Traveler - An iron encircling a rope, bar, spar, or the like, and sliding thereon.

Boomkin (bumpkin) Short spar extending aft from the transom. Used to anchor the backstay or the sheets from the mizzen on a yawl or ketch.
Boot Top A painted stripe that indicates the waterline.

This represents the end of the stem, or the last station from the . FORETRIANGLE The area forward of the forward mast in which sails can be set. A sail that fills that area. FRAMES Athartship members (ribs) of the hull framework.

Gimbal housing- supporting part of the sterndrive, bolted to the transom
Gimbal ring - part of the sterndrive that looks like a horse collar
and supports the sterndrive and allows it to swivel
Ground Tackle - gear used for anchoring.

Bailers - Openings in the bottom or of a boat to drain water when sailing.
Balance - The degree to which all the forces on a boat are symmetrical so the vessel sails with just a slight weather helm.

Transom - flat planking across the stern
Rudder - flat service at, or beneath, the stern used for steerage
Rudderpost - vertical shaft extending from the rudder to the helm
Helm - device for steerage
Wheel - circular steering device ...

transducerAn electronic sensing device mounted in a boat's bilge or at the bottom of the to provide data for a depth sounder. The rear section of the hull connecting the two sides.

See also: See also: Boat, Hull, Board, Forward, Navigation

Boating  Transit  Transverse

RSS Mobile